PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Sunday 1 April 2012

Didn’t think before deciding what to do Ooh, that talk of opportunities TV breaks and movies Rang true Sure rang true


And when Albert Hammond sang that song he might as well have been referring to comics rather than the movies (though they are all inter-mixed these days).

Remember the other lines, though:

Out of work, I’m out of my head
Out of self respect, I’m out of bread
I’m underloved, I’m underfed…

Yep. Sounds about right.  But I can hear you all asking yourselves: “Is the Telster now branching off into pop in the hopes of reviving his old punk career?”  The answer is “No” -but if Simon Cowell offers me £2 million I’ve a song ready…rude lyrics and about…oh. Simon Cowell.

No, I’d like to address a question raised more than once and which I, “Saviour Complexman”, wish to write upon.

People keep saying that the UK  “mainstream” comics industry is in a very bad state. However, and I’ve noted this before, there are a lot of Independent Comics out there -what people call “the life-blood of today’s UK comics scene.”

Firstly, as established, there is no such thing as mainstream comics in the UK.  Thomson is dead in the water with it’s last brain cell waiting to understand that it has drowned.  Egmont, the company that bought out Fleetway is “magazine attached to toys” advertising.  Panini has been a reprint company and even fails to publicise when it does something new.

Oh, for a very rich backer.

Anyway, it has to be understood that Independent Comics as such do not exist in the UK.
YOWWW! whose blood vessel just popped??!

In the US and Europe and no doubt elsewhere, Independent Comics are formed by people working full time trying to establish a place for themselves in the market and sell their books as a business concern.  They struggle and fight as best they can to stop the illegal download scum from stealing vital revenue that keeps them in business.  You see an illegal download site report it.

“But,” you might ask, “if they are not proper Independent comics why do they go to every UK comic event to sell their books?”

Good question.

I have spoken to most Indie publishers in the UK and they are, without exception, all employed in full-time jobs outside comics (I won’t say which jobs for obvious reasons but I will say that one of them is a tax man!).  So, they can afford to print their books, travel to shows and have tables. So comics are a sideline. A hobby -and some will refer to it as such.  It is not a business.

Interesting question to ask  if you get into a heated discussion with one of these people: “Is your company registered for tax?” or even “Do you declare tax on your comics earnings?”  Then you see real bluster!  “NO! It’s a hobby not a business!”  “We don’t make money -we do this for fun its not a business!” or even “None of your business!”

Interesting fact. I approached Her Majesty’s Tax office and, as a person compiling reports on the comics industry, I asked how many UK comic companies were registered to pay tax? Well, there are certain things you will not be told for obvious reasons but a list of companies registered for tax is an open matter.  Classical Comics, Cinebook-the 9th Art, Panini…blah blah blah. However, not one of the Independent Comics groups (I have to say groups as “Company” means they are registered as such and 99.9% are not registered) you see at all the events declare tax.

It may be why there was such panic over the “tax man in the building” joke at a convention a couple years back!  Oh, remember also that Wasted comic that showed so much promise was closed down due to “evasion of taxes.”

But we know that British comics has always been a crooked business -it could teach the old American comics industry a thing or two! This is not the focus of this article, however.

In these days of Print on Demand (POD) a publisher only needs to order the number of books he/she wants rather than have (bad memories) a room full of them. Also, he/she gets a discounted cover price which means they can do the math and arrange a cover price that helps toward covering printing and table costs.
Now, I speak to a lot -a lot- of creators who work for some of these publishers. How many see money from their hard work?  I can’t answer that. Why? Because I have not spoken to one creator who has received any form of money/return.  But, and this is where I get very angry, some are asked to pay toward printing of the comic.  “I only had to pay 60% toward printing costs” one smiling creator told me.  He was happy to see his work in print. Hobbyist.

Look, if a publisher likes your work and he says he’ll publish it but really can’t pay you anything but will split any profit with you (after costs) 50-50 okay.  Putting a comic together can be a nightmare -I know- with re-sizing, cleaning blahdy blah blahrp. However, a lot of the Indie publishers insist on the art all being resized and sent to them so it cuts out a lot of work.  I have to say, however, that if a creator is paying 60% of the ‘printing cost’ then he/she must be credited as co-publisher  not just “one of the mokeys that contributed.”  He/she is paying 60% while the, uh, ‘publisher’ is only paying 40%?? That is called Vanity Publishing and it’s frowned upon.

In fact, while reading this I just remembered that there were three contributors to one comic title and each told me that they had paid 60% of print costs.  I just checked my note book on this and realised that the three of them were paying 180% of the printing cost -???????????????????????

I would say to someone that if you want to see your book in print do it yourself. POD is not a nightmare that you cannot work through.      Go for it -take full control of your property and all the frailure/success is yours!
Take Donna Barr and how she took The Desert Peach, Stinz and her other works away from publishers and decided to handle everything herself.  She is not just the writer/artist but also editor and publisher.  As she puts it (paraphrasing here) “If I fall on my ass it’s only going to be my fault.”

There are others out there.  Okay, not many as good as Donna Barr (he says batting his lashes and going all girly fan boy) but they are doing what they want to do and they all have different reasons why they are publishing comics.
There is David “The British Manara” Gordon.  His MyExcess books are purely adult rated but contain some great art and concepts.  I am quite sure that for all the 99.9% of negativity he gets from the UKs mainstream straights if he ever finds a European publisher he will be rewarded for his efforts and work. No one else in the UK is producing work like this and I support him because it is beautiful art.

Ben Dilworth should be seeing mainstream success and I’m hoping one day – Ben currently keeps BTCG overflowing with stripwork to keep “his hand in.” And keeps me afloat.

Paul Ashley Brown (PAB), well, his Browner Knowle, Laurie Bird and other publications are deserving of much wider acknowledgement and, again, I think in Europe he would be much more appreciated.
I can hear you scream: “He’s a Small Presser!”  Well, yes, that is my point exactly.

Independent Comic publishers in the UK publish for fun, enjoyment and not as a full-time business but making a little money is nice.  UK Small Pressers publish for fun and enjoyment and not as a full-time business but if they make a little money it’s nice.

Oh -wait. So Independent Comics are the same as the Small press in the UK???  Yes.

Similarities:
1) always the same fans/friends hanging around their tables at events whichever part of the country they are in.

2) all claim to be “doing it for fun.”

3) none (allegedly) earn big money.

4) creators work for themselves or for free.

There are differences.

1)In the Small Press the creator will not just write/draw a book, possibly with a friend(s) but will also design and draw the cover.  They will also, as PAB does, select the paper/card type used and discuss things with the printer or copier service they use.  I am amazed at how many contributors to Indie Comics have no idea about the editing process let alone how to deal with a printer!

2) Small Pressers will also lug their own books from event to event and sell their  books at events and keep an eye on what they are selling whereas Indie Comic creators are usually just there to “do the rounds” or sign a comic or even draw a sketch.

3) Small Pressers can do what they want with their books as they have total freedom -they can hand-colour the odd illo in their book, add cut out shapes, pieces of ribbon or even badges and self made postcards to covers.

4) Small Pressers tend to have more fun because they are not desperately hoping that “What Happened When I Bent Over To Pick Up The Soap In The Prison Showers:An Autobiography” will sell and become the next big hollywood movie….maybe an Indie movie short?

There is a great deal of snobbery amongst some UK Indie publishers.  Some are genuinely affronted to be put on tables next to or even between Small Pressers.  Comparing them to Small pressers…ooh, now that really annoys them.  “Has someone stepped in dog-shit or is there a Small Presser about?”  They’ll tell you how their comic is far better produced and slicker.  However, there are many Small Pressers who also opt for POD and get the same results.

I once tried to explain to one Small Presser producing a US sized black and white comic that the cover looked great but being black and white did not draw the eye to it (initially I thought it was interior art until I looked closer).  He told me that he could not afford a colour cover. I pointed out that with POD you GOT a colour cover and it was not extra -turned out he was using a POD but never went for a colour cover??  He later told me I was right and he’d provided a colour cover..and the book was selling.

In the Book of Hooper that one will one day be listed as similar to when that bloke healed some lepers. It’s my Saviour Complex.

Comix Reader, the newspaper sized publication, gets contributors to pay toward printing but there is a kick in this: those creators get copies for their money which they can then sell-on and make money through.  That is not Vanity Press but a cooperative effort where no one really profits unless they sell all their copies!
I once asked different Small Pressers whether they declared tax on sales?  I got stumped looks and the usual response;  “But surely I’d have to sell enough to make money first?”  What is more, they will genuinely sit there and tell you “I brought 50 copies but only sold three but its been a fun day! I met….”

I love ‘em to bits. I want to run up and squeeze them but the restraining order…apart from Jason Cardy who loves hugs!

So called Independent Comic publishers will tell you “not selling much” but I’ve seen those same people selling a lot and making good money so why lie?  In 2011 I watched three different publishers at the Bristol Expo. In one hour one sold £60 worth of books.  Another, in just 30 minutes sold out of three titles and made as much cash as the third who kept taking new copies from a box and putting them on the table declaring “Very poor sales. Very poor.”  Had I not seen all of this myself I might have believed them.
Register as a company.  Register for tax.  Give your creators -”your” creators- a better deal or accept that you are Small Pressers.

“Independent Comic Publisher” is just an ego boost.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a Small Presser or Zinester -it was where many creators broke into comics from.  Look at the wide variety of publications that come under the Small Press banner and be proud to be part of that (amateur) industry.
You are, after all is said and done, the only comics industry we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment