PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Saturday 21 April 2012

Tsao Wei’s Windrush


Tsao Wei’s Windrush no.1
36 pages
black and white
hand-bound
“American Comic Book size.” (A4!!)
$5.00 US
 Helen Mu aka Windrush, once the greatest protector of the Lambeth borough, is assassinated. Now Lauren is forced to take up the Windrush mantle to prevent Lambeth and Southwark from going to war.
Firstly, I need to point out that this comic is not in “American comic book size” which is B4 this is in A4.  Another problem -the people involved are based in the UK (Tsao in Brixton) so why US dollars??
 
This turned up in my mail with no covering letter so I’m guessing you can only buy through their online store: http://www.etsy.com/listing/94324697/windrush-issue-1
 
I shouldn’t really need to have to chase around the net to find this stuff out.
 
Moan out of the way, I have to say that I always wondered how a Hong Kong kung fu comic might look based in the UK.  Well, this isn’t as slick or colourful as, say, a Jademan comic, but it has the right elements and some nice touches. Why won’t Huang sit on a chair? (I suspect “farmers”)  “Ned” is a character I’d like to learn more about!
 
I’ve said that this is not “slick” which a bit rude of me.  I’m guessing it is Wei’s first full comic so things are bound not to be as slick and professional as a Marvel or DC comic.  It works, though and I had a couple chuckles and if it left me thinking “I’d like to see how issue 2 shapes up” then it must have been reasonably good, right?
 
Hong Kong kung fu on the streets of Brixton.  VERY worth getting a copy of despite my miserable attitude.
Oh, and guys -with a good front and back colour cover why not try a print on demand service to give the book a slicker look?

No comments:

Post a Comment