PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Tuesday 4 September 2012

The End Of An Era….


…For me at least.

I read my first Avengers comic in 1967 and despite poor distribution I kept buying the title when I saw it and the Alan Class reprints in various titles helped -and now, of course, all those gaps are filled by The Essential Avengers 1-8.


Secret Avengers Vol 1 30.jpg

But today I picked up Secret Avengers #30 and that is now coming off by standing order list. The Avengers vs X-Men ends with #6 so thank gods for that. But as for the regular title, well, after more than 40 years that’s it.



I simply cannot take the garbage any more -garbage I am paying for.  It’s very depressing that after all these decades the title is just an endless cycle of meaningless crap.  What happened to the promising “Heroic Age”?

Finally also read the nonesense padded out The Twelve #12 (how many years has it taken to get from #1-12???).  Straczynski has lost all credibility as a comic writer as far as I am concerned.

The Twelve #12

Justice League of America I latched on to a couple years after The Avengers but have followed it through its very rough downs and ups. Having just read Justice League #12 I’m now writing that off, too.


Justice League #12 (Product Image)

There really is only so far that you can kid yourself that “things will get better in a few months”!

While Didio and Quesada are in charge at DC and Marvel (not to mention all the other trash-mongers) I can see my standing order list being down to just Independents.




Take a look at Image Comics and Paul Grist’s Mudman. I just picked up issue #5 and it was a treat. A fun comic.  Do not get me wrong -I want Jack Staff back! But this is still a good title worth getting.

Then we have IDW and John Byrne’s Trio.  No obscenities, no awful scripting and art that is clear and crisp (unlike The Avengers which seems to be going back to its “you are seeing all of this in the dark” style).  If you want to see a good American super hero book with substance then buy a copy of Trio.



Byrne writing and drawing The Avengers. That might get me back to Marvel.

Mudman and Trio are two of the very rare titles that are well written and well drawn -Grist’s style suits his comics and that’s good enough for me.

Yeah. Very depressing that a 40+ years long ‘career’ of following the Avengers and the JLA ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment