PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Friday 30 August 2013

Comic Fandom IS Dead

This is probably going to be referred to in amongst those interested on the net so here goes.

I set up the UK Golden Age comics page because that subject has no coverage.  Lots of covers from other countries comics were posted so to stop confusion I set up an International GA FB page.

Been unwell so apart from approving a few members yesterday, which is when the page was set up, nothing until this morning.

Here:




The last week, on top of everything else, I have had one idiot after another cause me problems on the net.  This morning I could hardly move but on opening my FB what do I get?...
“Lin Harrell
I am the admin for another [rather large and growing] comic book group and I don't like the idea that your guy ... Richard Boucher ... is asking members to leave my group and join this one. He is also posting links to another one of your groups. How about you do the work and build your own group. Stop feeding off other peoples hard work. He's banned from my group and I will not be adding anyone who is a member of this group or your other one.”
So I responded:
Lin. 'Thanks' for the rather aggressive message. I only set up my Face Book group yesterday morning and being unwell left it at that other than approving some people who asked to join.
I cannot be held responsible for what other people are doing without my consent.
I have a British Golden Age Comics FB page because there is very little about the UK GA out there so this was added to my web site. I started getting lots of postings of GA covers from other countries which is why I set up the International GA (which does not include US GA comics).
Banning some of your members because they joined mine?? And YOU joined it to find out who they were???
Man, what happened to freedom of choice and democracy??
I'm quite sure the new members are dumbfounded because I am. I am NOT filching your members -if they are members of your group they are still (or were) there but were probably interested in seeing another perspective.  I have no idea since I've not seen your group or what it's about and am banned anyway.
Is this what internet comic fandom has come to??? "You are in my collection of members and if you look at someone elses page -yer out!"
It would have been far better had you messaged me and explained what was going on so that I could have asked whoever is responsible to stop. I do not even know the name of your group or else I would have joined (nothing came up when I searched FB).
You HAVE over reacted without contacting me first because if your group covered the same subject as mine I would have closed mine.
Terry”
Yes, HE joined to see who from his page had joined mine to ban them.  I know America is going slightly insane and comic fandom is not what it was but really? I do agree that they guy involved should NOT have started posting to his group about mine but I should have been told about this not have the pratt join my group to find out who else was on it.
I’m closing both my groups because these aren’t fans or people interested in comics just in themselves and I have nothing to say to them.

2 comments:

  1. I just got banned from his pages after nearly a year and a half. I didn't break any of his silly rules, either. No, I merely beefed about him and his cronies on a friend's page and BOOM!, instant ban.. Lin is just a cowardly little man with a Napoleon complex, but I can honestly say I HATE Elvis of Dallas (Larkin). There are many of us out here. I plan on starting a page entitled "I GOT BANNED FROM CBC" with a subtitle of "I Fucking Hate Lin and Elvis".

    ReplyDelete