PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Friday 13 September 2013

Marvel Super Heroes Secret War...memories....

"In the distant reaches of the universe, far, far from planet Earth, an uninhabited, spiral galaxy turns its everlasting pirouette in magnificent splendor, unseen by living eyes..." 

And so, in May, 1984 (1984?!?!?) Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars 1 hit us. 

American super heroes -and villains- began to vanish. Despite all the nasty, bitchy-ness written about it this was a good intro series by Jim Shooter and it made Marvel money. 

Big money. 

In fact, it had such a nostalgia for more money making feel to it that in the 1990s Marvel produced another Secret Wars that was utter shit. I only got a couple issues. 

Yes, in #1 someone (Christie Scheele) forgot to colour parts of Galactus on one page but it was fun. So was Secret Wars II -yes, Kang, Dr Doom people argue were too powerful to be "spacenapped" by the Beyonder -like Galactus. But that was the point. Its still good fun. 

What do I find astonishingly unbelievable about it? That it was almost 24 years ago. ..............I have so wasted my life.

3 comments:

  1. You and me both, dude. What´s more I even got most of the issues of SECRET WARS II because at that time I was just starting to read american comics and this was the big crossover to go. I think it crossed over into EVERY Marvel book there was even if it was only for two panels or so.

    The funny thing is just a few days ago I saw the Secret Wars II Omnibus at amazon ( over 1000 pages of comic ) and I thought about getting that. Thing is I think I enjoyed the tie - in issues more than the actual series with my favorites being the AVENGERS issues by John Buscema and Tom Palmer and Chris Claremont and John Romita Jr´s X - MEN. Especially issue 196 is one of my all time favorite X - Men issues. I first bought the spanish version and I think to this day I have at least 5 different versions of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, got Secret Wars I and II. There were not that many Marvel titles back then and I got the main ones so the cross-overs were not too big a problem. I remember that the Mighty Thor had "The Casket of Ancient Winters" story that crossed over to other titles also -Walt Simonson?

    Over a thousand pages??? That include cross-overs issues because the series was only 12 issues and never had that many pages!

    X-Men, Fantastic Four and The Avengers (I'm talking the REAL Avengers here) were must get comics!!

    Were there any German editions of Secret Wars?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey,

    it´s over a thousand pages because it´s the SECRET WARS II omnibus and it includes more than 3 dozen crossover issues and the initial 9 issue miniseries.

    I think the first issues of Secret Wars in Germany were in the Condor Taschenbücher but the complete first miniseries was first published by Panini in 1998 as Marvel Exclusiv Band 9.

    http://www.comicguide.de/php/detail.php?id=60826&file=h&display=long

    There may have been one or two new editions since then and I think it will be included next in the Offizielle Marvel Bibliothek Reihe.

    ReplyDelete