PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Thursday 3 July 2014

Before You Ask -Its BEHIND THE DOOR!

My gran, bless her, seemed to think I was too straight-laced for my own good. When a woman in her sixties tells you a dirty joke she heard in work and you respond with: "And WHERE did you hear that??" then be prepared to be called a prude. And yet my gran was a very nice, respectable working class woman.

I used to dread her going on holiday...she made sure she always sent me "a mucky postcard" -everyone else got respectable post cards but not me.

Here is an example and the answer to the boys question is above.

I would like to dedicate this piece of classic British humour to the American who claimed British humour was based solely on hate and nastyness (and had NO idea what they were talking about). British humour is traditionally based on bawdiness, double entendres and satire not to mention "schoolboy humour".

Ripping into someone or putting people down in a very nasty way  is an solely AMERICAN creation. The UK has hundreds of years of satirical and bawdt books, plays and even movies not to mention music hall tradition of school boy humour and (Max Miller) double entendres. The US tried to copy this but when "Shock Jocks" came in realised they could make that the standard for themselves.

Not clever just nasty. Oh, and what is wrong with a boy trying to help Miss Smith look for her cat?

;-)

3 comments:

  1. And, unless I'm very much mistaken, the card was illustrated by Charles Grigg, who drew Korky the Cat in The Dandy for many years. (And Splodge in - was it The Beezer or The Topper? I can never remember.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Splodge was in The Topper. There are a good few of these seaside postcard artists who are largely ignored and its a Bamforth & Co. postcard so very likely. Thomson must have had puritanical outrages at some of these! A great many of the cards I had were, uh, 'borrowed' by comic folk but they are classic British humour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just checking as I think he signed himself "Chas"....yep. This is him!

    ReplyDelete