PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Wednesday 6 August 2014

I Just Felt It Needed To Be Broadcast One More Time. I Doubt We'll Ever Get It Right.


2 comments:

  1. You could put this up every week - I'd still watch it - and it'd still be pertinent to the world. The Great Dictator is one of the greatest movie ever made. It was made at (exactly ) the same time as Bogart's Casablanca was made, on sets that were pretty much opposite each other. The movies can well be viewed as opposites - one as a romantic and cynical view of war as human conflict, the other as an absudist, humorous and polemic view. An interesting comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, now Chaplin WAS big in Germany when I was younger so I wonder how they show this? I ask because there are no swastikas but its obvious WHO it is. Casablanca, as Subzero has pointed out before, is badly edited in Germany. The bad guys are "gangsters" and no scenes with swastikas nor Nazi uniforms are shown. RUINING the entire point of the movie! One German I know saw the uncut Casablanca for the first time while on holiday in the UK about three years ago and told me how brilliant it was. You know, I wonder if Germany ever shows the classic Went The Day Well (from which the author of The Eagle Has Landed ripped off the story!)

    ReplyDelete