PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Friday 5 September 2014

I Was Asked Two Things...

1)  "WHY have you not posted an obituary for Joan Rivers?"

My response is that I never, ever liked her.  She was a bullying shrew and her statement -I watched when it was broadcast) that innocent Palestinean men, women and children deserved to die "because they are terrorists" didn't make me warm to her much.  Sad for her family.

2) "People keep saying there's going to be a comic book market explosion like the 1990s -what do you think?"

I think, John, that you mean "implosion"?  Marvel and DC have produced so much extortionately priced, unimaginative and exploitative crap -Wolverine on and in EVERYTHING then/and Deadpool in and on everything, vastly changing characters to suit the movies and so on.  New #1s every few months. Yes, I think it possible BUT if it did happen then Marvel (Disney) Comics would either be cut back so much -because the movies are making the money now- that they would only be a merchandising arm.  Or the comics would vanish (not highly likely).

DC? They have no idea any more.

What we would see would be companies like Dark Horse and Image becoming even bigger players and attracting former DC and Marvel 'big name' talent because the rats always desert the ship quickly and there is a long history of this at both companies since the late 1970s.

Years ago I'd have panicked but, as many former fans are saying, Marvel and DC no longer have their fans investing emotion and money into their characters and books -they've proven time-and-again that they will shit on anything to make a few more dollars.  Now I say "bring on the implosion. Let's have another 1980s Black and White Explosion!

More collectors are getting interested in Black Tower Comics now  so I'd be even happier.

4 comments:

  1. More collectors are getting interested in Black Tower ? That's great news, Terry. I'm looking forward to - one fine day - an explosion of underground talent; doing their own thing in zine's and other bizarre and wonderful formats and being sold in comics shops around the UK - because the 'big names' have no influence anymore. Why not Superhero books other than DC or Dis/vel ? Why not poetry 'zines ? Why not kids strips ? Why not a million other weird and wonderful things ? Why not ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 頬プロモーション雄牛のたわごとでの舌 Not sure if that comes out right! "Kids strips"???? I dont think that is very---oh. Comics for kids? Erk. I have plans, man. I have plans. There are so many people in the Small Press now -they know nothing about comics, were not even born in 1984 and there are so many zine events around the UK. Actually quite depressing because amateurs have taken over from professional comic people...and in a year or so 97% of them will be out of zines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a moment, I thought that Stransky was calling for strips by me. You know, I get no joy from drawing (or anything much, in fact) anymore, but I must see if I can apply myself in the future. Certain people seem to think that of you're not drawing a regular strip, it's because you can't, or aren't good enough, whereas, in my case, it's because I don't feel motivated to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean, Kid! Thing is, these days, there are small press events all over the place so you ever get into doing your on "Home Industry Publishing" there are lots of outlets. But it is getting that motivation...even I find it hard at times (oo-er).

    ReplyDelete