PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Friday 10 October 2014

Titan Comics: Batman Annual 2015


Hardcover:
Full Colour
70 pages
Dimensions: 29 x 21.8 x 0.8 cm
ISBN-10: 1782761896
ISBN-13: 978-1782761891

Titan Comics (15 Aug 2014)
£7.99

Nice cover. Yes, yes, yes: it's for kids but adults buy these, too, you know. This is the most disappointing for me out of the two annuals.

I did not like the art for "Son Of A Bat" -drawn by Luciano Vecchio.  Ugly.  Things got a bit better with "Dr Quinn's Diagnosis" drawn by Neil Godge.  Hmm. In my day the good guy never slapped the girl around even if she was a wrong 'un (Bogart could but Bogart was Bogart....well, Mitchum could, too but....I'm losing this arguement) but then cleavage and suspenders and stockings were never found in the annuals I read (except in "Pansy Potter And The Saphic Idol Of St Trinians"....or was that in my head?).

I have no idea what the title of the final strip is -can't even find the credits but Batman is up against the Pyg Gang. oy. Blocky art again and I now understand what the Batman fans were talking about regarding the butler Alfred Pennyworth -he has become a huge, muscled, bald head, fish-of-fury character. Can I write "WTF???" in a review?  Well....W....T....F??????

Again, kids will probably like this but I think if this is what DC calls handling its characters these days then I'm glad I'm out of it.

BUT -if it gets the kids reading and drawing you have to look at that as a plus. But the Superman annual wins out!

No comments:

Post a Comment