PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Tuesday 14 October 2014

You Have GOT To Be ******** Me? Really?!

Joel Schumacher takes over a project and the actors and everyone involved in it start praying...for an early death.  Batman and Robin killed the Batman movie franchise.  I never liked Val Kilmer, though that HAS changed over recent years, and he made an okay Bruce Wayne but...no, let's not go there.

Everyone, and I mean everyone -including the population of Antares 7- knew who killed the movie.  And now Schumacher "falls on his sword" to take the blame.  No, "take" insinuates that he knew what he was doing and did the best he could.  "Accept" would indicate that he is, as we all know, crap.

So this piece on Yahoo from Variety magazine just made me laugh.

Joel Schumacher Takes The Blame For Batman & Robin

Joel Schumacher Takes The Blame For Batman & Robin


It’s been seventeen years since ‘Batman & Robin’ introduced George Clooney as the Caped Crusader as well as those awful bat-nipples. But director Joel Schumacher admits that the campest batman movie in history was all his fault.

“I was the problem with ‘Batman & Robin’,” the director admitted in an interview with Variety. “I never did a sequel to any of my movies, and sequels are only made for one reason: to make more money and sell more toys. I did my job. But I never got my ass in the seat right.”


Explaining that he never really likes to make sequels, it sounds as though Schumacher may be trying to shift the blame to the studio somewhat but that’s really not the case.


“They immediately wanted a sequel,” he said. “But I said yes. There’s nobody else to blame but me. I could have said, ‘No, I’m not going to do it.’ I just hope whenever I see a list of the worst movies ever made, we’re not on it. I didn’t do a good job. George did. Chris [O’Donnell] did. Uma [Thurman] is brilliant in it. Arnold is Arnold.”

Of course, George Clooney wasn’t the original choice of Batman for the failed film the role intended to be carried on by previous Batman, Val Kilmer.


“Val left at eleventh hour to do ‘The Island of Dr. Moreau’,” Schumacher explained. “It changed everything. George made a noble effort.”

Still, I can’t help thinking that even with Val Kilmer in the driving seat, there was nothing that could save the movie from becoming a terrible, homoerotic mess. Not to mention the cheesy visuals and over the top dialogue. Again, that’s probably putting it lightly.

But despite single-handedly ruining the Batman franchise, it seems that’s not what Joe Schumacher thinks he’ll be remembered for and I have to agree. After all, the nippled bat-suit is far more ‘impressive’.
“I was like, ‘Are you kidding me?’ I think that will be on my gravestone,” he said. “It’s how I’ll be remembered.”

Let’s just hope the nipples never, ever return.

8 comments:

  1. So, nice Arnold gif. Now we just need an animated gif of the Dr Morg Trilogy cover for an epilepctic seizure. I swear I get headaches just from looking at the normal one.

    And as for Joel Schumacher, it´s already on all the worst movie lists, dude. You´re decades too late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Bat nipples". "on ALL the worst movie lists". "Killed the franchise". "Kilmer left it to do The Island of Dr. Moreau" - the movie that killed Marlon Brando's legacy. I have avoided Batman for years - but now...it seems... I have no choice... the voices in my head are daring me to watch it..... I am damned to hell....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Michael Keaton refused $15 million because he wanted to look at the character more, go into why Bruce Wayne did what he did BUT they kept giving him the Joel Schumacher script and rather than take the money and run he stuck to his guns. Oddly, the more recent Batman films did exactly what Keaton was wanting! I say that BUT the last one...it was so disjointed, over-long and ridiculous -cops that are not trapped underground (apparently EVERY cop other than a few on watch were trapped) are now the Resistance and no one outside Gotham will help because there's a threat a nuclear device will be detonated IN Gotham....Great cast and performances but ***** that story. I watched it all the way through and, believe me, Cat Woman (Anne Hathaway) was okay but it was all just too long and disjointed. Seriously sick of Batman reboots in movies. I'm not watching any new film til Adam West signs up to play the Miller Dark Knight! No nipples.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh he he. Yeah, the tiny cover was what caught peoples eyes and at the recent event the large version... it really ****** up a few people -but that's in-keeping with the whole book (I'll send you a copy after the November event as I'll probably still have all the copies!). That Dr Moreau film...I know that Kilmer felt he'd been miss-led about things but if an actor really trusts a director and studio to keep their word....dumb. Brando I don't think cared a bit. I think the Burt Lancaster Dr Moreau (?1977) was a hell of a lot superior BUT it did have Burt Lancaster in it and a director or studio would be very very dumb to try to **** him about! Ahhh. Movies. Bat nipples. Dr Moreau.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No no no no no. Arnie Gif is NOT mine -it came with the news item. It seems that something changed in the last month gif wise because they are EVERYWHERE like an infestation. Good idea now being killed to death. I decided I am not using gifs....the Arnie one convinced me not to!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rented the DVD. Saw the movie. I feel violated. How can it have less self respect than the Adam West TV series ?.... ah. The TV show knew it was a parody. The Clooney Batman film..... became a parody of itself during the filming.... I need headache medicine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I know what you mean with the gifs, but it´s too late for me now. I just hope I can use it in moderation from now on. I think I spent the last week just going over old posts but man ..... can you believe that there are posts that I have gone over a dozen times and I STILL find typos ? F - edd up, man.

    I have made a few pictures bigger but it seems that it´s not possible with the really old posts. So unless it´s an important one I´m too lazy to upload the old pictures again. I just did a new version on this post pimping the Project Pegasus Saga :

    http://talesfromthekryptonian.blogspot.de/2011/08/captain-america-week-is-over.html

    Anyway, what I found out about the pictures is that I wanted to make them bigger, especially the comic covers so I put them on " x - large " instead on " big " and you couldn´t see them very good. Some of the lines were blurred because it doesn´t have high quality. So instead of clicking on " x - large " you click on " original size " which makes them a bit smaller than " x - large " but you can see all the lines perfectly - as long as the quality of the original cover is good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just checked and yes the larger pages on that posting look great. I think I missed the Quasar pregnancy one, though....I've seen so many comics and this cover looks like the old safe sex/stop unwanted pregnancy poster of a man who is pregnant. Weird. But, yes, I think that comics being a visual medium if you can post large images go for it!

    ReplyDelete