PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Wednesday 4 February 2015

I Ramble Because I Am Old.....Knock Three Times And Ask For "Joan"

I think that CBO started the week off complaining about the state of UK comics and it's been chugging along with that theme ever since.  It is not intentional.

The problem is that there is no real positive or curious fandom any more.  Even someone producing the odd 10-16 pages Small Press (SP)( gets a "following" -usually of his/her friends.  That's it.  Of course, as you become better known you get a few more fans.  They join your Face Book.  You can be rude to them while preaching your own political-religious thoughts.  Don't like that? the 'star' has dozens of followers who will tear into you because you dared criticise their star/prophet.

And comic forums "for fans"......"Hi, everyone. I'm new here but I thought I'd introduce myself.  I'm a big John Byrne fan---"   Response: "Wow.  That a ****** ego! 'Look at me everyone I am here!' Dumb *******  *****!"  And: "John Byrne? How can you be a John Byrne fan and into comics?  He's ****!"  Or: "Hey, ***** -shouldn't you be playing with your Crayolas?"

I seriously spent three hours one day last December going from one UK message board/forum/group after another.  Scanarama and Spacevoucherhoax are two friendly Yahoo groups -they went through all this negativity and stamped it out.  Plus points to them.

But other groups?  oy.

The internet can be a good thing but one thing it attracts is negativity in the extreme.  Even Yahoo itself features articles containing personal abuse because they, and the internet age think it is the norm.  A woman carries out a very-VERY- charitable act.  Comments: "Instead of wasting her time on this she should've spent it on getting plastic surgery!"  (huge laugh).  "I saw her face and I almost puked!"  and "She probably figures being charitable she stands a chance of getting laid!"  and so on and so forth.

There are people out there who have blogs and base the entire blog on arguments they started -chopping up and editing email exchanges so that they look good and if the offended person says "I did not right that -you've edited chunks out!" well, more fuel for the argument.  In fact, I never realised that you could edit other peoples' emails.  Yes, I'm that internet dumb.  Then again, WHY would I want to edit....ah, what the hell.

Several times I have had people try to boost their flagging blogs by trying to draw me into an "internet flame war"  (WOW! That sounds so.....dull).  "No Name Blog DEMANDS review comics!" was one item aimed at me about 5 years ago.  As everyone knows I never ever "demand" review comics.  I explained to the blog owner in a private email and he published (edited of course) that email.  All his pals joined in "I have never heard of that site and I woulkd never visit it. That guys ego is massive!"  I could add...

?

but I won't.  That would just be showing off.  And you know that big fat ***** "?" his ego is so ***** big that it's....it's big.  The big **** fat *****   *******!

I feel better for that.  Anyway, as soon as I realised that Joey Morono was up to I just left him to it. 5 years on I'm  still here with CBO and well over 2 million views.  Joey Morono and his blog? Gone.  I don't laugh (out loud).  I just think what a wasted opportunity to put some thoughts or ideas about comics to people who would be interested.

I was getting pretty negative about Marvel and DC Comics and how they have destroyed their long term fan-base for a more "we don't care -reboot! Reboot!" fan grouping.  I still think the same but I suddenly realised that CBO is supposed to be family friendly and what was I doing?  Being negative.  I will not change my opinion and I will comment as I see fit since this is my blog after all. But a kid comes onto CBO to learn more about comics or get inspired and just sees the "big two" being constantly trashed when he/she is a fan of one or both -not good.  It doesn't inspire or get them excited for that latest book. 

So I dropped the attitude.  Lose a few visitors?  Well then, I lose a few visitors.  Everyone wants to be the top dog and see those counter stats get higher and higher and they'll do anything to see that.  For them it is their sex substitute!  I've got well over 2 million views on CBO.  I know that is a lot but to me it is just a lot of jumbled numbers.  If 2 million people purchased my books (let's be honest, if ten people bought my books I'd be happy -I could eat!) I would be ecstatic.   If I could see 2 million people I'd probably be awestruck....my home just cannot take that many people....or maybe I'm being a bit surrealistic about this?  Who knows?  Who cares? (I was going to type "PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BUY MY BOOKS!" here but that would be taking self promotion too far so I decided not to).

What is Manhua fandom like in China?  Manhwa fandom in Korea?  Indonesia?  Bulgaria?  Romania? The Ukraine? Russia?   And, yes, I really am interested in that sort of thing.  Perhaps I ought to produce a good old fashioned fanzine.  Text features, some comic strips -you know.  Contributions (unpaid) ibn Word Doc format please and any images as jpegs only.

Did I just officially announce a new comic fanzine titled Comic Zone??

Crap on a bicycle wheel.   Let's hope there's the usual lack of any response to that or it could mean  work and I have to much work.   And I am a cult after all.  I am.  Several people have called out after I've walked by "You Cult!"

I think it was "cult".

Anyway, you, my faithful cultists -look, let's be honest I don't give a flying left hooked crap about cult followers.  At my age I want attractive young women following me, messaging me (and I do NOT mean those women who keep sending me emails all with  photographs of their magical furry fairy purses either. I just didn't know where to look for 30 minutes).  Real comic geek girls.  Goths. Punks. Hippy chicks. The walking dead.  I am not fussy (though, apparently, the police and British law is).

I am, at this very moment looking at a pair of Great Tits.  I'm talking about Parus major you dirty minded lot.  Go watch a Kate Perry Disney-safe video.

I only have soya or lactose free milk.   I'm a vegetarian.   And, I know the doctors keep asking but let me make it very clear that I have never been "sectioned".  You eat one foot....

That's it.  Gone now.  Why am I here?  I'm very old.  I've just peed myself.




No. I lost track.  Well, Be Seeing You!

2 comments:

  1. Somewhere in there, before you peed yourself, you said 'Comic Zone'. Really ? That'd be cool ! A real hand made 80's style zine. An actual, physical zine version of the CBO blog? Now THAT I'd like to see ( and of course contribute to, too). Sort out a draft issue and send it to me. It'd make my day. I'd been thinking for a while that the problem with blogs is that they change to soon - certainly you can check back and check through past blogs etc etc but having the paper in your hand, where a reference is just a thumb flip away. That I'd like to see again.I wax nostalgic. Time for my new medication. Seeya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really would like to but the thing is with the internet if you wait to publish.,...it's old news. I have lots of interviews and other text features could be added -if Mr Northall got off his ass and stopped making excuses and wrote about comic related movies -YOU READING THIS NORTHALL????? Comic strip. Comic Zone was one of the ideas I worked on before -I think I even posted....hang on...even before the internet YOU did the b&w cover illo for it. Oh yes. I'll....got it. Back cover to Zine Zone 6 and it says "early 1988" I'll have to scan and post. No idea what happened to the cover art -I don't think I got the pages back after photocopying. Mmmm. And you really should have slapped the doctor.

    ReplyDelete