PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Wednesday 4 February 2015

"Not An Imaginary Tale! Not A Hoax! Not A Dream Sequence! Last Issue!!!

Well, that is what the tiny text above the Zine Zone 6 cover says  It was not, actually, the last issue -I think it went on to issue 14?  Not sure.

But look at that cover.  It's A5 (US Digest) but the amount of work on it -it really needs enlarging to see it best.  This was Zine Zone's colour cover and starred UnkLe tWIsTed (who had a story in one of the old Adventure (volume 1) Avenger stories.  He also had a cameo in Return Of The Gods.

He was released from  the Loboby Home for the Clinically Unhinged a few years back and still wanders Bristol with a piece of lead piping looking for criminal scum bless him.

Sigh.

Oh, here's the cover.



















































But then, in my rambling post earlier today, I mentioned doing a printed comic magazine -Comic Zone.  I was slightly kidding.  But then I realised I had done a cover for such a never happened magazine -I think I posted it a while ago with others on CBO.

Then, Mr Stransky, recently returned from the Osaka affiliate of the Loboby Institute said it sounded a good idea. So I was replying when I realised that none other than Ben R. Dilworth HAD produced a cover illo in black and white for Comic Zone....I found the Zine Zone  and there was the ad on the back cover announcing that the first issue would be out in early 1988.  Never happened as comic writing work meant no time.

But here is that back cover!





Comic news is so fast on the internet today that by the time a magazine was published the news would be history.  But text features. The odd interview and articles on comic book movie/TV shows?  The odd comic strip?

I'd write "What do YOU think?" but it would be rhetorical.  I'd really need to think it over.  Contributions? Sure but NO ONE gets paid -it's a fan publication.

May happen.  May not -who can tell......

3 comments:

  1. Wow. I'd buy that for a dollar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fan publication ?Is there really any other kind ? If you're not a fan... ...why would you want to do it ? It is the old zine mentality, isn't it ? You enjoy it - do it...and if other people enjoy it - good. If not...lots of other work out there to see. God, I really miss Merv Grist ! "The Slugs that ate Manhattan" with TimWebb. Fantastic. I still have a copy of the tape. I'll listen to it tomorrow.
    Have a good night ( well... it's midnight 10 here ) I'm off 'ome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to track Merv down. Cassette tapes -my copy of Slugs unwound into the cassette recorder and was irreparable. Not going out much these days it would be nice to listen to. Have a good un!

    ReplyDelete