PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Thursday 19 March 2015

D. C. Thomson and Fleetway --They Were The 'DC' And 'Marvel' Of The UK

Spent 4-5 hours yesterday evening taking all my UK comic annuals from the shelves, dusting and then cataloguing them.

Yeah, my joints paid for it overnight!

I have over 200 annuals which, I am reliably informed by next-of-kin, will be sold off with my comics as soon as I've snuffed it.  Lords of Light and Darknessgive me a long life just so I can piss them off!

Anyway, good thing is it means I do not have to wait (a long time since it isn't a priority just a courtesy) for IPC to supply me with the scans for various projects and they have been kind enough already.  But there was a bit of a surprise for me.
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_large/8/85763/2297452-smash_ann71.jpg

You see, old time comickers describe D. C. Thomson (Dundee Editions is how they are better known in Europe) as the "DC"  and AP/Fleetway/IPC as the "Marvel" of UK comics.

I always saw myself as a "Marvelite" and a Fleetway fan. But when I looked at the sizeable stacks of books and then wrote up my list (yes, some have been stolen over the years) I discovered over a hundred were Thomson books. 

Some from the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s -Topper, Beezer, Dandy, Beano, Sparky, Hotspur etc.

Now, this suddenly hit me because when I was a nipper I started getting comics from about the age of 5-6 years -Robin and so on.  My grand dad, Bill, seemed to think a good mix-and match each week would increase my enjoyment (bless him but he had no idea that most of the strips were serials!).  If a new Number 1  appeared I got it and you can probably guess that, as I never had a permanent home until I was well into my forties, a great many were lost. 

That's life.

http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/images/Annuals/Dandy/DandyAnnual_1971.jpeg

So I got to see the Wilson, The Tough Of The Track as well as Captain Hornet, Billy The Cat, Q-Bikes/Q-Karts, General Jumbo, Billy Whizz and so on.  And when I made my 54mm Plastacine figures to play Thomson characters were alongside those of Fleetway, Odhams and Marvel (with the odd "guest appearance of Batman or Superman -I kept it eclectic!).

Certain people have said in the past that they were surprised that I had Thomson annuals because "You hate Thomson" or there's the "that's very hypocritical of you"  and my usual response is a polite "And you are talking out of your arse".

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_large/8/80884/3100293-6049434950-Beano.jpg
I have never, ever written or said that I hate Thomson.  That is a falsehood spread by certain very sad, not-quite-bright individuals who tried to stir up an argument on the internet.

Okay, so one editor, allegedly called me a "C---" when someone mentioned my name.  I wasn't there but, oddly, a journalist from a Midlands newspaper did try to get me to comment on this.  I put the phone down.

I have suspicions. 

http://comics-on-dvd.co.uk/images/source/Hotspur_Book_-_1986.jpg

My only "argument" has been with the fact that Thomson is in a position where they could become a major player in the comics industry.  On the old WordPress CBO I outlined everything and even published the very rude letter of response from an editor.  That was in the past and I don't care.

The people running Thomson do not appear to have the inclination to get into new comic production and in such a  case you can only sit back and yell "You are losing out on getting more revenue from new fans!"

A two-year game plan and everything is set up and established but it will just not happen.  I'm surprised that even the Beano and Dandy are still going.

I think that my comic and annual collection shows that I have a love of the old Thomson characters and going through the books last night realised why.

And "Fister" Flint.....

I say nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment