PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Tuesday 3 March 2015

In His Cups - Collected Tales from Gimbley

 
Phil Elliott
Paperback, 
Black & white
A5 (Digest)184 Page
Price: £7.95
In His Cups is a complete collection of Phil Elliott’s comic strip, Tales from Gimbley featuring the eponymous everyman, Dave Gimbley. Gimbley recounts tales from his youth including his one-night stand with the Mona Lisa; a fight to the death with a sumo wrestler; deconstructing a de stijl chair; being an integral member of a Performance Art piece; meeting the Holy Man and many other surreal, humorous and often poignant adventures. 
 
 Eek.  I told someone that I reviewed this book back around Christmas.  I did.  It was quite a longish review.  Person gets back to me:"I can't find it -are you sure?"  Well, of course I was sure because I had to make a couple corrections and post the link to my Yahoo groups....I've searched.  It is gone.  As are a couple other reviews.  I love Blogger at times!
 
 Elliott, of course, drew the excellent Second City for Harrier Comics back in the 1980s.
 
 
I cannot remember what I wrote, of course, I'm lucky if I remember to change my pants.  This book collects over 30 years worth of strip-work and it's interesting to see the change in styles and mediums Elliott used.  


Believe me, you want to try to track down and buy the publications featuring the strip -give up.  Go look for the Golden Fleece.  That or buy this book which is easier and will give you a fun read!

Support Independent talent.
http://www.brokenfrontier.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/daisy-650.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment