PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Tuesday 9 June 2015

A VERY Wise Few Words If You Work In Comics

Linkedin used to be for professional in various fields to check each other out and, in something like comics, offer work or let creators know if a company was looking for new writers or artists.

That was what is used to be but now it is "just another social media outlet" as one ex-Linkedin user put it.  I was asked, and so I asked everyone I knew who was on Linkedin, how much work had been secured through it?

Zero.  Nothing.

People try to "friend" you -just like on Face Book.  People you do not know literally demand to know WHY, after you've not accepted their request, you are not doing so?  Well, I do not know them and people working at call centres in Mumbai....yeah.  Then you find people involved in aviation, the petrochemical industry and even "missile system analyst" want to link up to your network.

No.

And what I really hate are the number of people who endorse my skill as a writer, artist, publisher, photography (where the feck does that come from?) and other skills.  Do not get me wrong, if I've worked with people I have no problem with them endorsing my work.  The problem is that I had twenty people at one time endorsing all manner of skills I had (but never my skill at mastering transition through trans-urganic space).  People I have never ever met before and have never seen or read my work.

Then you get "Endorse one of Rasputin's skills"  -"WTF is Rasputin??" (I just made that made up since no "mad monk" has ever tried to friend me!).  Apparently, Rasputin joined my network. Really?

I do not accept requests to allow people to "join my network" if they have no profile photo or if they use some drawing or caricature.   You want to be anonymous simply go away and do not ask me to let you join anything I'm involved in.  Also, unless you are in comics and know me or have been in contact with me I will never let you join any network I have a say in.   If you attempt to endorse me and I have no idea who you are then your recommendation is deleted and you get reported because if you will lie about that gods know what else you are hiding.  Sucking up to me never ever works, either.

But here is where I would like to offer some advice.  Take it or leave it.

I had an email from "Andy" who told me about a new project he was working on and attached was a pdf of character sketches, story and plots. I took his email address and deleted his email.

Firstly, no, I do not open any pdf.  If you are so feckin dumb that this has not sunk into your head by now....go away.

Secondly....where do I begin???

I explained to Andy that I did not know him and asked whether he was offering me a project for Black Tower?  If so, sorry but I don't pay up-front so I reject any such project.

I then told him that he had no idea who I was -just writing "I hear you have a good reputation" does not mean a great deal.  According to whom, firstly -unless someone I've worked with do not go by rumour. I used to and was ripped of mercilessly. Comics is a crooked business.

Then I got to the point of telling him that you never ever EVER send people a full synopsis, plots and character sketches no matter what field you are in -comics, animation or whatever.  As one company after another told me after ripping me of quite openly: "You cannot copyright an idea -tough tits!"

Put all the copyright notices you want on a project proposal but by changing names, locations your project suddenly becomes theirs.  "But it's so close -how do you explain THAT?!" you may ask in utter outrage.  I had the same response twice from Steve McManus and later Peter Hogan at Fleetway and Fleetway-Egmont, respectively.  "Oh the idea was probably in the ether waiting to be picked up by who-ever"   That sort of cosmic thought shit does not convince anyone.  A rip off is a rip off.

So, "Andy" may have had the greatest idea in comics in decades.  Unscrupulous Comics' boss changes names and locations and he has a money making hit...maybe even a movie deal.

Whether "Andy" took my advice with others I have no idea because, even trying to explain how he could get ripped off I suddenly turned into the bad guy!

But I do hear from people who claim to have their comic ideas ripped off.  Now, as a lawyer will tell you: "you can claim, claim and claim but you have no proof!"  Document dates can be altered.  Your mum being your chief witness does not cut it.   Even if you recorded a conversation outlining your proposal to a company that then makes changes and uses it under another name -"you cannot copyright an idea".

One person claiming to have been ripped off told me that he had posted ideas, character sketches and more to "at least six comic forums" and I pointed out that by doing so the concept becomes "public property" -everyone and anyone on the internet can see the idea and use it.  Do they care if they are making money off your idea? No.

I have seen artists post sketches or rough pages for ideas on the internet -"Should I do this or go and do this?" they ask forums with hundreds of (99%) anonymous members.  Writers discuss ideas and ask for feedback.  They discuss how characters develop, plot twists and more.  Are they really that stupid?!! Are you that awful as an artist or creator that you ask the entire world which idea sounds better....and then complain if you get ripped off?

I was just on the already mentioned Linkedin and two people running groups have asked that, for discussion, members should tell everything about any new projects they are working or that are in development -you know, how are they going to be different from what is already out there and how will the creators approach be different?

Yeah, why not?  Someone can then grab the idea and sell it themselves and tough feckin luck to you -prove they were on that group at the time you moronically disclosed every detail of your story and plot. People really are that stupid.

Get your story, write your script, draw the comic -or work with someone who'll draw it as an equal partner- then publish it.  You will be responsible for everything involving your book and at least if it gets ripped off your book is in print -but remember more than one person can have a similar idea.

Why won't I show lots of art or discuss in detail the plots and story in The Green Skies?  If I really had to answer that now then I've wasted my time writing this!

If someone on a group asks people to discuss new projects or projects members are working on then politely write: "Doing that would leave a creator open to being ripped off so I suggest members do not disclose this information" and you will get a snappy "Are you saying I am trying to rip off peoples ideas?!" or even "we are all friends and co-creators on this group!"  In either case -leave the group.

I have to end here but I just burst out laughing with that last paragraph.  You see, I once talked with someone who said he was ripped off after talking about a project on a comic forum.  I suggested that he ought to leave the group to which he responded "But there are some great ideas that keep cropping up!"

The "ripped off" guy was quite happy to rip off other peoples ideas.

Word to the wise.

1 comment:

  1. I recall the complete surprise when a Braque cover turned up on a market stall in a colouring book .

    ReplyDelete