PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Friday 12 June 2015

Dave Hornsby -A Rush Up-date





Hmm.  Having spent a couple hours looking over the internet for any information on Dave Hornsby I have found out that:

1.  He used to go the London comic marts to sell his comics.  Never printed more than a hundred or so copies.

2.His comics are "not worth anything money-wise"

3. He "never broke into professional comics"

4.  He was a big fan of the rock group Rush and even did a comic based on one of their albums.

5.  "I think he's dead now"

6. Apocalypse was published by Marvel UK

Well, that leaves a lot of open questions.  If he never broke into pro comics who worked on the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents UK comic?   That was a disaster -more so for the fellow who published it without realising what a back-stabbing crooked business comics were.  He was also very naiive about comic publishing and wound up with huge debts (it is claimed the publisher of Savoy -the publishing house- committed suicide but I've seen nothing definite).

I am guessing that as a cover artist, which he is credited as, Dave Hornsby never made any real money because this 1986 comic seems to carry his last work that I can find.



I can guarantee you 100% that Apocalypse was not published Marvel UK.

I'm really hoping he has not passed away and I'd like to think he's out there, somewhere, drawing still.  But such is the  Cycle.

Oddly, "Phil2020" sent me some scans of one of the Rush comics but wrote he had these "some time" and could not remember where he had gotten them from.  First look -yes. That IS Dave Hornsby work. And I think the scans might be from this site: http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/comicbook-cygnus-x1-b1.php


You can find more info on Rush comics there but not a great deal of info about Dave other than that he was a big fan of the group.

So, to up-date things here are those pages!







 And Dave Hornsby certainly did not draw the other Rush comic -that artist is named in the credits.

So, after weeks, I am gradually piecing bits and pieces together but if YOU can add anything else to the Dave Hornsby file please get in touch!

4 comments:

  1. nothing much to add. looks great though. a real work of pleasure - David Hornsby: good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I wrote "weeks" of looking for Dave Hornsby via the internet. I did mean years. YEARS! You ought to enjoy the South of Watford documentary for nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Terry - Dave Hornsby here :)

    I had a school reunion a couple of days ago and one of the guys had obviously Googled me first to see what I was up to and found this instead. Anyway I thought I'd get in touch and let you know that point 5 "I think he's dead now" is definitely incorrect :)

    I've got a website www.davehornsby.com where you can see the sort of thing I get up to these days - no comics I'm afraid, although I do still read them...

    And, bizarrely, somebody has just scanned and made all the old issue of Apocalypse available online to download, as well as many other UK fanzines from back in the day - http://classicukcomicszines.weebly.com/-apocalypse.html

    Thanks for the kind words and sorry for not finding this sooner - I'll have to Google myself more often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Dave. Well, I guess definitely not dead then! I'll check out that link and your site. Good....just checked your blog. Its creative and if it pays the bills (which comics don't) then why not. I always wondered who designs these things!
    Thanks for getting in touch!
    Take Care!

    ReplyDelete