PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Sunday 7 June 2015

It IS A Fair Question.




I have been asked why I never submitted D-Gruppe or other projects to the German comic Zack if I am such a big fan?

Well, when it was announced that Zack was returning -it was published again in 1999 so I think I heard the news from a former Bastei editor in 1998- I did.  However the response was rather brusque to say the least.

The intention was, I was told, to produce a high quality comic featuring Franco-Belgian series.

It has always been a problem with German comic publishers.  Bastei used a great many Spanish and Italian artists for its Gespenster Geschichten and Spuk Geschichten -its ghost/horror comics.  They even used British material from Dundee Editions (D. C. Thomson) and IPC/Fleetway.

However, I do not believe Bastei ever published a German created comic -they did use German artists later on in the horror comics but the quality was not as good as that from Italian or Spanish artists -it was cheaper at that point to pay German artists than agencies who employed the Spanish and Italian artists.

Editions Quasimodo I did try -they produced some great comic albums.  The letter I got back stated: "Edition Quasimodo is for German creators and German creators only!"

Zwerchfall Verlag, Hethke and Ehapa and Condor -absolutely no interest.  For some it was easier to simply reprint Marvel and DC comics.

So, yes, I did try.  I got insulted by some but by most just sheer and utter lack of interest in anything original.

If -IF- I get through to the end of 2015 I intend to concentrate mainly, if not solely, producing comics in German.  That's going to be a challenge.

You never know....

No comments:

Post a Comment