PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Tuesday 25 August 2015

Guernica Interview: Gilbert Hernandez: I Saw My Neighborhood as the World

I'm a big Gilbert fan -of course, Jaime, too!- so I know what I'll be reading this evening!

*****************************************************************************8

The elder statesman of alt comix looks back on the legendary series he co-created, Love and Rockets.
https://www.guernicamag.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/GilbertHernandez_portrait.jpg
Gilbert Hernandez
Photo courtesy of Carol Kovinick Hernandez.

In 1981, at a time when the comics landscape consisted mainly of children’s, superhero, and genre comics, Gilbert, Jaime, and Mario Hernandez revitalized the medium with their character-driven tales of life in California and Mexico in their series Love and Rockets. A mashup of superheroes, sci-fi, and sometimes romance, the work of Los Bros Hernandez, as they’re often known, signaled a significant transition in comics, one that expanded the possibilities of the form and revealed not only that comics need not be solely for children but also that the medium could offer emotionally nuanced and keenly observed literary narratives.

Love and Rockets, published by Fantagraphics, was principally produced by Gilbert and Jaime. Whereas Jaime tapped into LA punk culture, Gilbert focused on more universal motifs: coming-of-age, familial drama, and romantic love in the mythical village of Palomar. The Mexican American brothers featured Latino and Latina characters in their comics at a time when the industry was comprised almost entirely of white men. In Love and Rockets, Gilbert introduced one of the most memorable and complex female characters of the era–the fierce Luba, whose matriarchal presence invigorated Palomar and, more broadly, the world of independent comics.

You can read the full interview here: https://www.guernicamag.com/daily/gilbert-hernandez-i-saw-my-neighborhood-as-the-world/

7 comments:

  1. The work of the Hernandez brothers is a thing of beauty - not only the Love and Rockets stories... which turned a lot of comic 'tropes' on their heads and insideout - but also the Mr. X stuff.... and so much more. Anyway. Off topic.I just put a package in the post. It'll get to you early next week. I'll apologize for the letter in advance - it's short. It's got some Saviour stuff in it and some A5 books.
    Let me know when it arrives, OK ? Take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next Monday is a Bank Holiday in the Uk. But I'm unemployed and doing nothing. Gilbert has worked on limited series such as Grip and I love his stuff -can be quite insane. Why do I like his work? Really, books to sell? You do realise I have no outlet to sell? What the Crispin St Peters -anything is welcome these days. I'll let you know when it arrives. Off to hide as a big Black Dog is after me and I think it has had its teeth sharpened!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't let depression hit you too hard ! I just read that you've retlred. Shame. Well. That just about nails it down for me. Off to do some pointless work. Talk to you later. ( Oh. Stats; CBO hits are around 50 an hour - sometimes up UP sometimes down - that's an average of one thousand two hundred a day. Not bad. )

    ReplyDelete
  4. No. I said I am unemployed with no comic work and my retirement seems to be coming early. Don't Ratner me! No work. No one interested in comic publishing in the UK -no choice. Can't look at it any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ratner ? I'm too far off the radar. I don' t get the reference. Either way, getting more time to read up may mean more for Anomalous Observations. That'll be good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gerald Ratner owned and ran Ratners which was worth millions Wikipedia: "He achieved notoriety after making a speech in which he jokingly denigrated the company's products, which caused the company's near collapse (the so-called "Ratner effect")." Basically, he said what he sold was "shit". In my case someone reads "retired" and pretty soon anyone that MIGHT have got in touch about work will cross me off the list. In fact, just posting a few of my painted figures to Army Men Home Page has gotten me far more positive responses than anything posted on CBO EVER has. Read....nah. My last charge will be Europe for 2016 as the UK is dead. After that -ta-ta!

    ReplyDelete
  7. See? A couple people totally miss-read my post and thought I was no longer reviewing or posting on CBO! ****

    ReplyDelete