PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Friday 25 December 2015

Maakika Art

Well, I notice that quite a few sites are posting about this and since I am not stupid and need the money...

oh, and note the (c)2015 Terry Hooper-Scharf.  I DO sue now.

 
 

Terry Hooper-Scharf
A4
Black & White
32 pages  
Paperback
Price: £10.00 £7.00
Ships in 3–5 business days
 
 Quote: "The unique Maakika Art style of Terry Hooper-Scharf has raised more than a few eye-brows and is a complete change from his work as one of the UKs top graphic novel illustrators."
c novel.


Maakika Art -The Origins

Whenever I try to explain to someone the origins of The Maakika I get odd looks. I have no idea why, unless the people I'm explaining this to have no artistic minds and have never known a fevered mind!

However, the story I told on the original Maakika Art site in 2008 is factual. These pieces have been called some of the best work I've done -my comic work getting swiftly dismissed! I'm also told, though I never saw it that way myself until I went through all the pieces again, that the pieces seem to form a type of mythology or at least hint at one.  I'll let YOU decide.

The Origins
  
"What is Maakika Art?"  I get asked that a great deal and to be honest it is a very brief story!
In 2006 I had a serious respiratory infection.  It came and went but,in 2007,it came back with a vengeance over several months and with complications I thought it would see me shift this mortal coil -and I am NOT joking!

Around May, 2007, it got really bad.  Then, suddenly,pouring with sweat, while seated on a bus, my mind started getting a rush of images -maybe 50-60.  I got home exhausted but I sat down and began to draw.  Honestly, at 50 years of age I had drawn many things but these new images were so out of my usual frame of image reference that I was stumped.

I drew a few, sat back and thought "What the bloody hell have I drawn?!" Almost instantly the word "Maakika" [pronounced "Mah-kee-kah"] came into my head.  At the same time I got the definition "solid black and white art under guidance from the Maakika".  Ahh, a fevered mind -and no drugs involved!

I've searched the word on the internet, in books and anywhere else I can but it seems not to exist. I cannot find anything similar.

And with each came a title or description. 

So,a divine gift from the Maakika pantheon seems credible!

And lucky.

The original images are all 21x29cms and though I've not parted with the first "inspired" drawings which look crude to my eye, several were sold for between £150-£300 each.

I still have the original images in my mind [they won't shift!] but I've been inspired to work on larger images [60x42cms].  

So,if you have any questions or comments get in touch! The best email address to use is:

hoopercomicsuk@yahoo.com

And remember:only one person does Maakika art -me (and I have absolutely no idea what's coming next!)

The Maakika Art


 

Maakika Band -The Makinii

The Maakika hatchlings played under the watchful Mother Tree Timipu

Kathassi knew the time was coming

 Tinikia knew that the egg was special

The Divine Beholder





Falaasoo the Radical

Idembo The World Shaker was angry


Mabwaanaa shouldered the burden
The Waltz Was Sweet -The Makini

The Rebel

Mkeeni Danced In The Lightning

The Lizard And The Fox Watched Tikipii Dance

 Maapulu The Moon Went For A Walk With Tiiki The Wandering Star
It Was The Last Thing Uutu Expected

Umbutu Danced For The Moon

Miipi Wondered What It Was? It Was Takas' Tail.

Bratutu Danced Beneath The Rani Tree

Banitaa Weighed Up The Choices
For Maakasuu Time Was Running Out
Saami Guided The Makini

Maapu Sat Thirsty At The Water Hole!
 
 
Kefuu Knew Other Things Lived There
 Kamibbeewaa stared at Unnunko the bound
ALL ARTWORK IS (C) 2014 Terry Hooper-Scharf

1 comment:

  1. My moment was back in the nineties sitting in a bus station and I drew the first of my modern day abstracts. I had started at school in the seventies, but it seemed to me that the reaction to them was non-committal and the teachers probably thought that I was copying the Surrealists, which I had never heard of. I put some in my exam exhibit along with bird paintings, some comics related drawings and passed, but I left abstraction and surrealism completely alone until that moment with the sketch pad. The feedback I felt from the drawing was far more powerful than the other stuff I had been drawing, in a way, musical, that was my own style, something that had not existed in any form before I had drawn it and many times more satisfying. I can understand your Maakika art and what it means to you. I hope you can continue with it.

    ReplyDelete