PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Thursday 17 March 2016

A Final Nail In The Coffin

I've mentioned before that for the first time ever, because Lulu.com is based in the US, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) were charging me non US Resident tax.

All Lulu does is hold the file to allow the UK PRINTER to print my books. So I am being charged because the company takes money from each book printed.  That is money I should get through sales. But I was happy for some sales until I got this and I've posted this on my FB page:

"Well, after US taxes (??) I got this message:

'Dear Terry Hooper,

Just thought you'd like to know Lulu Press Inc. sent you £7.36 GBP.'

 And I'll be charged for changing the payment from $s to £s. There is no hope if you are a small publisher these days."

That is from sales of several books and would not even pay for buying one of them. And I'm told some tax may be back-dated. Well, good luck with getting that.

As a publisher this is a final nail in the coffin of publishing.

So get books now if you want them because this looks like it.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had two tries at a comment, but it was just too opinionated and waxed political. In the end I though, best delete. I just get a bee in my bonnet about such things. Comics should be about fun stuff, enjoyable, not a meat market and all that is left is a carcass left by Monsieur Creosote. One small wafer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't there any UK based alternative for the popular lulu?? Even India has at least two I can name with...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, there is no real lulu type company but printers do this. Pothi in India were fine but no one wanted to buy the books and I tried up-dating but then the site refused my password and I was told I could not change my password without the old one. End of story. If any sales have been made from the store that is still there I have no idea. This isn't a great business.

    ReplyDelete