PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Tuesday 4 April 2017

Clarion Books: Fish Girl -STILL Recommended


  • David Wiesner & Donna Jo Napoli
  • Hardcover: 182 pages
  • Full colour
  • Product Dimensions: 18.4 x 1.9 x 25.4 cm
  • Age Range: 10 - 12 years
  • ISBN-10: 0544815122
  • ISBN-13: 978-0544815124


  • Clarion Books (7 Mar. 2017)

      • Cover price on Amazon varies from £12.53 to £19.99




      The triple Caldecott winner David Wiesner brings his rich visual imagination and trademark artistry to the graphic novel format in a unique coming-of-age tale that begins underwater. 

      A young mermaid, called Fish Girl, in a boardwalk aquarium has a chance encounter with an ordinary girl. Their growing friendship inspires Fish Girl's longing for freedom, independence, and a life beyond the aquarium tank. Sparkling with humor and brilliantly visualized, Fish Girl's story will resonate with every young person facing the challenges and rewards of growing up.

      Yeah, like I care who won what award. But a review book is a review book..even if it means my shelves are closer to collapsing.

      So the book arrived.  Did I really -really- want to read some bland story about "growing up"? I mean, I've done that already -some of you may have, too- it ain't great shakes.  Teen girl angst? My head would need a toilet bowl fast.

      So the book itself is very nicely packaged.  I took a deep breath and jumped straight in...it was around 0200 hrs  so I needed something to make me sleep.  Fail.  The art is absolutely wonderful and it looks hand drawn and water coloured.  I actually ran through the book about three times to look at the art before I even started on the story!  The art is that wonderful. THIS is how you should do comic art though it would take a lot of time.  Cue: "But this was all digital, Terry!" If it is....I retire.

      And I really liked the story but here is the thing: I did not read it as a young girl (not me -the character!) growing up, yes, there was that aspect, but the whole thing seemed -to me- to be a modern continuation of ancient mythology....it all seemed to be there...unless that was just me? There is the element of growing to be an individual with more freedom but I think by promoting it as just that will turn a lot of potential readers away.

      The scenes with Fish Girl, named Mira by her friend Livia, and the octopus are lovely. And Neptune has you wondering -just an attraction owner or-?  This is not "just a girl book" because I was thinking that even an X-Men fan (I'm talking about the pre-1995 real   X-Men comic and what it stood for) could appreciate this because Mira is, after all, "gifted" (?) in a way and trying to find her place in society.  The book works on so many levels so don't sell it short based on that "growing up girl" line!

      And I just checked. I need not retire just yet.  There is a Q&A with the creators at Publishers Weekly and, yes, this is drawn and water coloured art.  :-P I still got it.

      Buy it for your kids or for yourself.  Male or female. I read it straight through and I'll not read it again for a very long time because I want the reaction I got from the first reading!



      No comments:

      Post a Comment