PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Sunday 21 October 2012

I Eat Dead Pigeons And Sewer Rats -I Was Born From The Blood Of Spring-heeled Jack



I wrote, a while ago and in a semi-humorous tone, that most people working in comics were dumb-asses. Can I now remove “semi-humorous” and replace it with “serious”?

Firstly, I am still getting books with no information attached. I have had to check on books five times this week to get page counts, cover prices and other info that should have been sent with them.  Also, if you want a person to review your book email them info plus a few jpeg images to use in the review.  Why? Well, I’ve had people complaining that I did not “select the best pages” for my review.

I often ask people to send 2-4 pages that they WANT shown with the review.  I think only one person has ever done this.  The rest were all “We’ll leave that up to you as reviewer”….then they complain about my choices.

Look, if you check review sites you will find most show a cover image and the rest is text.  I was shocked at how many sites in France do this and not even the company sites offer sneak peaks at their new books. It is why I have always tried to include pages with reviews so a person can see what the art is like (Cinebook the 9th Art and Classical Comics do this with their books) and whether they might want to buy it.  Better than “Your review was great so I bought the book and the art was crap!”

As a reviewer my job is to review a book so there is no obligation to the publisher to do anything else. Scanning pages to include in the review is not part of the deal. No info, no jpeg images means your book does not get a high priority for review –I review it when I have time.  It’s the “Look, you as the publisher really cannot be bothered so I, as the reviewer, take a reciprocal approach” stance.  Probably a double-negative there but who gives a fried crap –no one reads these things.

Again, because it is hidden in plain sight to the right, here is the Reviews Policy if you have a book you want reviewed on CBO:

Reviews Policy Reminder

1. We do not touch Marvel or DC comics (well, to a certain extent these days)
2. The exception to [1] is if an artist or writer is working for either company but also works for Independent publishers .
3. We review and interview people/publications covering the Small Press and Independent Comics as well as those involved in Manga, Manhwa and Manhua.
4.  Because of legal problems as well as time wasting in the past where heavily promoted   books have never gone to print it is our STRICT POLICY that we do NOT base reviews on pdf documents.  We’ll look at them prior to interviews or to mention them in passing but if you WANT a review we need a hard copy.  No hard copy =NO review.
5.  Press Releases:Word Doc with one or two jpeg images.
DVD/Book  reviews
In the past we have been asked to review DVD releases [such as Speed Racer] and as it’s within our remit we said “yes”.  Then the DVDs never turn up [as with Speed Racer].
Our policy is this: You want a review of such items send them. Do NOT waste my time with needless and pointless correspondence.
Press Releases should go to:
hoopercomicsuk@yahoo.com
Review material to:
Terry Hooper
CBO
c/o: 203 Ashton Drive
Ashton Vale
Bristol BS3 2PY
UK
Not much to take in really.  Doesn’t matter whether the comic is in English or not. Obviously, foreign language we go by art, though.
Always, always ALWAYS send details such as:
*number of pages
*format [US/Mag., etc]
*cover price [if orderable from you include a postal cost if you can]
*contact info
There. Ever forget just check under Review Policy!
Terry
hoopercomicsuk@yahoo.com
CBO
c/o   203 Ashton Drive
Ashton Vale
Bristol BS3 2PY
UK

All of that ‘hidden’ here on CBO.  I should include: do not pretend that you are a “buddy” and want to be excluded from the guidelines cuz, you know, yer a good pal. I don’t have friends.  Oh, if you do not want to send a book for review DO NOT email me and say you’ve read the guidelines and will NOT be submitting your book!!

I do really believe that there are a lot of dumb-asses out there.  Let’s not get me started on creators whose livelihoods and careers have been negatively affected by certain crooks in comics but who respond with “He’ll tell you himself it’s all true –lovable rogue!”  Really? You get what you deserve, ass-head.

Pretty fuckin’ grim but I owe no one a “favour.”

Also, if you submit a book for review you will get an honest review.  Don’t care who you are.  If you send me a Press Release and I post it DO NOT contact me the next day and try to pretend I have made an error.  DO NOT tell me that I should be proof-reading your Press Release for errors.  DO NOT demand that I correct the errors that YOU have made….unless you are paying me?

You think all of the above is rare? Nope, it is almost weekly.  Miss-spelling someone like Herb Trimpe’s name as “Trimp” or “Trump” or even citing someone in your press release as “the creator of—-“ and when corrected stating “We meant he created the Silver Age —– not the Golden Age—–“ when the person referred to did not ‘create’ the Silver Age Comics version but started writing on the book about five years ago.

But it’s not all about reviewing or press releases.

There are people in the comics media who describe the Marvel character Red Skull as “one of Marvel’s first mutants” –he is not. Check out your comics history: the Red Skull mask was given to the anonymous Nazi by Hitler (it was only a side-effect of an early super soldier formula in the recent movie).

And for the info of a certain jerk: Aquaman is not a Silver Age creation but a Golden Age creation of Paul Norris and Mort Weisinger in…1941. And was later re-introduced on “Earth 1” in 1959 –lovely art by Ramona Fradon.

I could go on but I really would like to sit someone else in this chair for a month and see how they cope.

When it comes to the much-shortened blog list, well, I have explained this but…people asked me to put their blog on the CBO blog list. I say “Okay –but you have to put CBO on YOUR blog list” and this usually gets two responses:

1)  “Why should I publicise CBO –you’ve only reviewed a book of mine?”

2)  “No problem.”

Well, 1) gets the response that if my site is not good enough to be listed on your blog roll then I am not going to publicise yours.  2) usually gets followed up by my having noticed no links added and the response: “Oh, I thought I added that!” or “Wow, like I’ve had no time to add a link yet” (after 6 months or a year that never gets taken seriously).  Some have added a link but removed it after a week.  After 5-6 years you have to say “Why am I giving links to their sites and getting nothing in return?”

So, I gave everyone a warning that the links were coming off the blog roll unless there were CBO links added to their sites.  One person responded “I can’t see you doing that” so he was first off.  Links all removed and 5 people bleat “WHY have you removed our links on CBO?!!”  Maybe they were too busy having sex with “Miss Righty” to pay attention.

People from publishers, writers, artists and every other aspect of comicdom have taken advantage of CBO and in many –many- cases do not even say “thanks” for promoting their events or books or even pushing and backing them and their company/books when no one else would (and when they take off its “feck off CBO –we owe you nothing!”).

Changes were brought in and they are staying.

I eat dead pigeons and sewer rats.

No comments:

Post a Comment