PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Friday 6 September 2013

From Russia (Formerly the CCCP) With Love...well, comics from Russia!

Now then, after my posting of the Russian Tarzan comics on CBO http://hoopercomicart.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/or-tarzan-russian-comic-series.html I did promise to show a few more of my Russian collection.

Well, it seems a lot were pilfered -and in this case I know by whom.  However I do have a few left but not all conform to "comics" as I'll explain.  And I do apologise for not being able to name all of these -my notes were in one of the pilfered books and trying to translate the titles now...well, they don't make sense.  So, if any of our Russian visitors can help please do!

The first book is a childrens illustrated history. Its from 1990 and below is the cover. There were 16 pages comprising of an illustration, rather crude, with text opposite as you'll see.

 



This next one, again, no translation of the publication but I allways joked that it was the "Western decadence invasion" issue.

Pretty straight forward cover.  Not much to grab you?



 The above -"Fantasy"  is quite charming and something of a style you might find in Western comics though I cannot find a credit.

Below: A text feature and on the same page a three panel humorous Tarzan strip. Tarzan sure got around in Russia.  I think the text item is looking at an East German childrens film -East Germany was the main source of comics back then -how many got translated into Russian I've no idea. East German tv series such as "Tales From Europe" were sold everywhere -including the UK.

  

Below, well, the title says it all: "What Are Comics?"  You might think the more hip Marvel Comics characters would have been in the illo!  I did once have a translation of this and, yes, it really is telling readers what comics are and a little history.  Oh those innocent days.


 Yes. Bugs Bunny -a two page article looking at the character in his 50th year -my A3 scanner died so I could not show the entire centre spread.

 Another side-tier cartoon strip and....CHUCK gaddam NORRIS??!!  Seriously? I guess he was more known for his martial arts back them.  For some reason I find this funny.  But Mikhael Gorbachev had been pressing for reforms so the West was gradually creeping in (where was I during the attempted coup in August 1991...I...was...NOT...in Russia!!).

 This back page strip in interesting. Basically, one balloon is saying "West" and pulling in that direction while the other shouts "East" and pulls that way...the end result for our furry friend is plain to see.  This really was an historic issue because of the situation at the time and that comics, Bugs Bunny and even Chuck Norris were being introduced to youngsters.

Again, my thanks -THANKS- to Wladimir Malyschew who sent me these.



Unlike the November 1990 issue, above, the December issue was back to text features and a few illustrations.....


 Yes, our furry friend survived on and was the back cover comic strip. I'd really like to find out far more about this character, strip and creator.



Again, lost the title to this October, 1990 children's magazine  which is mainly stories will illustrations as you'll see below the cover.


  

 Now I have mentioned Murzilka before and here is no.3 from 1988 which flies the CCCP symbol proudly up on its cover (top left).  I have seen these advertised on ebay as "Russian Comics" and not cheaply either.  In fact, these were mainly story and educationally based with only two pages of comic strip as shown following this cover.




 The same characters from above feature in the 1990 issue no.10...anyone notice that a certain symbol is now missing?  As far as I am aware Murzilka remained in this format but if anyone can tell me more I am interested.

But, if you think about buying from an ebay seller, ask for confirmation it HAS comic strips because none of those I contacted will respond to my emails!!

 



As I think I've written before, I did one interview about comics for Russia but I also created a lot of characters -and drew many of them.  Were they ever published? Well, not legally that I know of since the publisher who was also a printer had his workshop blown up by a rocket-propelled grenade...

Yes, folks, comics can be fun but it can also be darn-tooting dangerous at times.  RPG....I once got a really -REALLY- bad paper-cut while putting together some comics.

Enjoy!









No comments:

Post a Comment