PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Friday 3 October 2014

A Re-Post To Save Others The Agony! UP-DATE

Before reading the below post an up-date.  You'll notice at the end the response from Epson.  I have tried contact by phone but it seems they have "no record of previous contact" which is...convenient.  Also, you cannot make a complaint (I sent a letter to their UK headquarters -nothing) because its online site does not allow for that only technical support or about a repair and I am complaining about THE worst machine I've used in over 20 years -I'm back to using my Canon IP1800.

I have tried but Epson seem to want to ignore complaints and about this model there are a lot.

So, around 3,000 people will see this on CBO a day and my Google+ guarantees 3-4,000 views so 6-7,000 people a day will see this. And, yes, I am reposting.
_________________________________________________________________________________ 

A couple of people involved in Small Press asked what I thought of the Epson Stylus Sx130 scanner-printer? They quite obviously missed my post on it.  I now learn that all the problems I outlined are quite common!

Two days before the BCZF and I need to print off things and despite non-stop working on the ***** thing -up to 20 hours so far- and it still refuses to accept ink cartridges.

NEVER EVER EVER BUY THIS MACHINE


Review (well an Angry diatribe) Epson Stylus SX130 -Why NEVER To Buy One!

Right, firstly, when I got this machine it seemed to be a gods send. A scanner and copier all in one -fast.  Yes, I had been warned that "it is a bitch when it comes to ink!"  In fact, I never realised how bad it was. This is the machine -
Sleek. Smooth. Look at those curves....ohhh, yeah.  They always say that evil hides behind beauty.

As I've written, this is a quick scanner and the copier is a bit slower but since my old desktop Canon FC220 is now beyond repair (and, unbelievably, twenty years on the toner cartridges have increased so much in price (I could buy one for £35-50 back in 2000 and now Staples and Office World want £100-150!!! THAT is far more than the machine cost) its a good deal.

One thing I noticed is that the copier will NOT copy in colour.  Now if I put a colour image on the plate to scan I get a colour image to save.  If I put a colour image on the plate to photocopy I get...black and white and to be honest not that good a quality.  Something Mr Stransky can probably verify!

But so what -its okay for copying a letter.  If I want a good copy of an image I HAVE to scan, save and print it from there.

Look at the SX130....begging to be used....

But here is the BIG problem.  No, not "big" as that under-states it.  The major problem comes with the ink cartridges.  Take a look at the bottom right of that photo above.

And here is your close-up.


You see that absolutely moronically designed piece of plastic over the cartridges?  Yes, that is molded in place. It cannot be move. You'll note they show the cayan cartridge removed and this is so you think its easy. It is not.

Run out of ink and an orange light flashes above that tear shaped symbol. Your ink is running low.  That makes me laugh.  The tear-drop is there to indicate the huge amount of grief you are in for.

The slider is supposed to move the cartridge that needs replacing to the point you see above -where the cyan cartridge has been removed. You pop it out and replace it then press that button above the tear drop and the yellow cartridge moves along to be replaced.  My ass.

The machine runs through the whole 20-30 second roll action after each cartridge is replaced...IF you can replace them. The cartridges tend not to move into place. After minutes of trying to get the bloody cartridges to move into place you think "if I take out the first one then I can get to the second one to replace it!" No. Just no.

Now, I've used HP and canon printers in the past and when cartridges need replacing you lift up the panel and the cartridges tend to move into place for removal. NEVER ever had a problem with that in...over twenty years of using printers.  Not this one.  No. That piece of shit plastic shaping means that you cannot -cannot- get to the cartridges.

You DO have options. One is to try to slide the cartridges along but this takes quite a bit of effort and I would NOT recommend that.  The best option, sadly I do not have the tools for this, is to cut out that piece of shit plastic.  Am I angry? Yes.  There is absolutely no reason for that plastic to be there other than to cause the user major problems.  The designer is a complete ass-head.

But there is more.  If you manage the approximately ten minutes or more it can take to replace the cartridges (my record is 45 minutes) the machine itself...well, it tries to screw you up.  Runs through the motions....yes, cartridges replaced.  Good.  Now to print!

"Cartridge not recognised"....whaat?  Run it all through again to print "Cartridge not recognised" and then you are told to use Epsom only cartridges.  Yes, I have put in an Epson cartridge.  So, you remove the cartridge again...replace it.  Run through okay...."Cartridge not recognised"....I have, before now, spent over an hour trying to sort this problem out.  Suddenly...the cartridge is okay.  Phew. Three copies into your printing "Cartridges not recognised"....yes, now all three -Cayan, magenta and yellow are not recognised and you "need Epson cartridges"....but they ARE Epson cartridges!!!!

Some times you only need to remove one cartridge, some times all three and then two will be recognised but not the third.  More hassle then....success! Continue print.....black cartridge not recognised. Here we go again.

And here is a thing. This week I have printed off some black and white illoes.  Not a large number -I have, in three days, used 18 cartridges.  I have them here in front of me and if I shake them they have a good deal of ink in them...but the printer says no.  It is why I now use Epson Compatible cartridges -same end results, cheaper but still all the replacement problems....I just save money.

So, I asked the fella who works in PC World about the Epson SX130 and...he laughed.  Apparently I had NOT purchased a damaged machine as I'd thought.  "I've not met anyone with the SX130 that hasn't had a problem" he told me.  That plastic crap over the cartridges?  "If it was me I'd cut the ***** out. There isn't any reason for it to be there."   A customer standing three feet away joined in. "The SX130?  They are utter crap. My boss had one for each office because he thought scanner, copier and printer all in one -brill! So five offices each had one.  In six months they were thrown into the waste skip!"

WHY do you never meet these people BEFORE you buy?  And the PC World man?  "People want one we sell it."  Good customer service there!

So, yes, I am going to look for a new scanner/copier/printer and it will not be an Epson. Oh, did I mention your print outs can be ejected by the printer half done because the ink has run out even though it says you have enough?

  Epson UK, incidentally -in two phone calls-  tried every single excuse including that I probably buggered the machine up in some way.

There, Epson, a blog that has had over 2 million views has called out your awful printer.  Hey, send me a three machine that does all the SX130 is supposed to do and we'll see how that goes.
_________________________________________________________________________
Epson response to my comment/complaint as outlined above NEVER BUY EPSON!!


If you're having trouble viewing this email please click here
EPSON - EXCEED YOUR VISION
SORRY, WE WERE UNABLE TO PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT
Dear Epson customer,

Unfortunately we were unable to publish your recent comment at our website.

The comment did not meet one or more of the criteria laid out in the guidelines and requirements. Please take a look at these requirements: we would be happy to consider a revised comment.
SEE REVIEWS FROM OTHER CUSTOMERS

WRITE A NEW COMMENT ON THIS PRODUCT

CONTACT EPSON

Tip: If you want to address a customer service issue, or give us your general thoughts on our product range, pricing approach, ordering process or delivery service, then the individual product reviews are not the appropriate place: just contact us directly.

SPECIAL OFFERS PRINTERS INK & SUPPLIES PROJECTORS SCANNERS



You have been sent this email because you have registered to receive news and information from Epson.



Privacy
Read our privacy policy, to know that your details are in safe hands.



Unsubscribe
If you no longer wish to receive emails from us please unsubscribe here.



About us
Epson (UK) Ltd. Westside, London Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP3 9TD. Registered in England No. 1461516



No comments:

Post a Comment