PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Thursday 25 December 2014

Not Having A Great Christmas

I have now had three people ask if they can use this post from 2014.  All three are writing pieces about depression.  If you suffer from depression I know it isn't easy - bipolar or whatever.  I mean what I wrote back then and all I can do is repeat this: there are people out there who will listen to you and that should include friends and family.  Depression is NOT insanity but an illness.

Never ever give up.

I know there are going to be a few of you out there who are hating today.  And are very depressed. No miracle cures for depression and unless you really want to get heavily medicated then manic depression ain't so good either.

I know you won't feel like it but go for a walk.  Say "hello" to someone -or don't but just get out. If you've found computer games take your mind off things then get playing.  Hey -check out the videos on You Tube. Read comics. Do anything but just sit there because, yes, it DOES make it worse.

Read this, it might help you.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/stress-management/in-depth/stress/art-20047544

Above all, though, if your family and friends know you go through these things explain to them that it's hitting you now.

But you are never alone.

8 comments:

  1. Well, me trying to cheer you up by saying 'Ho ho ho' probably won't work then. Have as Merry a Christmas as you can anyway, Terry. (Whaddya mean, 'Bah! Humbug!"?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, I just know that there are a LOT of folk out there for whom this time of year gets very rough. Me? I'm trawling internet newspaper archives as well as technical papers on sea fish populations in the Middle Ages and trying to solve what Delphinus tertio is....cuz it aint in my Latin! Gods I'm a boring bastid! But....MERRY CHRISTMAS backatcha!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just back from a chat at the 'hospital' and I may have some good news for you. My Latin is crap but tertio means 'third' and 'Delphinus' is defintely 'Dauphin'. I flicked through a National Geographic book of world history here ( it's got a lot of nice lists - one is of the kings of France ) and I think I found him for you - Louis (Duke) of Guyenne reigned 1401-1415. The third member of his immediate family to be titled Dauphin. I trust that will put a smile on your face. Enjoy your studies ! Off before the internet drops out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh. Its Delphinus as in cetaceans -dolphins and whales -the things Japanese love to slaughter. Erm....but....in this case the problem is "tertio" -it does mean third but it is an old Latin classification since there are NO dolphins nor whales -which I assume the animal was- with "tertio" in the classification. I've asked my friends at the Natural History Museum about it.....BUT they are off on...holiday???? Funny what you find in newspaper archives. All 19th century newspapers I've lookled at and only one Hooper reference -drunk and disorderly......could be an ancestor. And you should NEVER flick off to...oh. "Flicked through" Wrong Flick. I'M DRAWING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're drawing - great ! I look forward to seeing it at some point. .... drunk and disorderly ? Nah. Must've been my relative. Good luck hunting down delphinus tertio; except for Dauphin the third we've drawn a complete blank here: take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just had a chat with our latin scholar - Adam - off to Australia for a long break, lucky bugger - the outcome was ; tertium genus ceti; tertia species de ianthinis, delphinus est ternarius, delphinus tertius; basically, delphinus tertio is odd latin: delphinus is DOLPHIN and tertio is THIRD but they shouldn't be combined that way unless refereing to a specific group; like a family. Obviously the person who wrote the document in the Middle Ages made up his own term for something... much as we do now for new games and things i.e. 'Final Fantasy'...and sod the fact it never ends ! So good luck with that. I'm off to do leafletting ! Oh ! Excitement !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Drawing led to headache. 19th century 'naturalists'! I'll find out. Now -leaflet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No idea what is going on here. Comments are vanishing or the page isand then posts vanish. Now they -comment vanished while typing there. WTF?????? Anyway....
    One of the pressies I got Christmas gave me an idea. Can't say too much "over an open line" as we used to say but it might work utilising old BT strips. I'll let you know more when I write a letter. Odds of the idea taking with today's publishers.....well, worth a try. Now -get dressed!!!

    ReplyDelete