PLEASE Consider Supporting CBO

Please consider supporting Comic Bits Online because it is a very rare thing in these days of company mouthpiece blogs that are only interested in selling publicity to you. With support CBO can continue its work to bring you real comics news and expand to produce the video content for this site. Money from sales of Black Tower Comics & Books helps so please consider checking out the online store.
Thank You

Terry Hooper-Scharf

Thursday 12 March 2015

Titan Books: Lenore -Pink Bellies

http://media.titan-comics.com/dynamic-images/comics/issues/Titan-LenorePinkBellies_cover.jpg.size-600.jpg

Roman Dirge
120pp
Full colour
Hadcover
US size
"Comedy. Girl Power.  Supernatural"
ISBN: 9781782761310
US $17.99   UK £12.99    Can $21. 95
On Sale: 4th February


All four parts of the 'Who Will Die' storyline are collected together for the first time in this, the sixth Lenore collection.


In a storyline that has been building for over a year, Roman Dirge, the so-called ‘Arch-Deacon of the Macabre’ has been slowly ratcheting up the tension and silliness in a story arc that will see one of his most beloved characters pushing up the daisies -- FOR GOOD, we kid you not..!


NO, seriously. This isn't one of those dead for a year kind of deals other publishers do - this is the real deal. DEFO dead! Deader than a door nail kind of dead. The sort of dead that leaves the reader gasping in stunned amazement at the sheer audacity of the thing. Seriously, as god is my witness someone's dying or my name isn't Ferdinand Marco De Boing Boing III. It's going to change the way we see dead people in comic books for all time!


 I've heard people people rave about this series so when I received the book I was interested. Having deliberately avoided any art pages online, I sat down to read this.  The story is amusing. BUT I am not a fan of the art. It leaves me cold and that is not helped by that gods-awful bulgy-eyes and big heads style.  Don't get me wrong -I have seen toys and even dolls in this same design and I get the same reaction.

The panels are well thought out but it just looks like lifeless, flat computer-generated art.  If Dirge is hand-drawing this then my apologies.  I had the same reaction to the movie The Impossibles -all very nice and interesting but just far too "clean" and precise.

Okay, I know there are huge fans of Lenore who absolutely LOVE this.  I know there are major collectors of dolls of the same character.  It is just that I'm not.  And how important is my opinion? I do not like that Manga "big eyes" style but has my opinion made sales drop?  No. Manga popularity is not what it was but that has nothing to do with me...I think. 

On checking the net earlier it seems there are a lot of Lenore fans and they do love this so I'm guessing it is going to sell!   Don't listen to me.....






No comments:

Post a Comment